Forget the chemicals. Turn to nature. And detox your home.
Winter often leaves us with uncertain microbes lingering in the air and on surfaces. And as we enter spring, we can’t take any risks. We’re already shielding against the onslaught of seasonal allergens, so this year do more than spring clean — detox your home, naturally.
Gone are the days of scrubbing your counters, floors, and furniture with questionable chemicals. You no longer have to put up with deodorizers that do nothing more than mask smells for only a few hours.
Now you can blissfully bless your home with essential oils that deodorize and fight against mold, bacteria, fungus, and viruses. At the same time, you’ll feel happier, more energized, and better able to breath.
Spring cleaning takes on new meaning when you use essential oils to not only clean but detox your home. For an extra clean and safe home this spring, use these five essential oils:
Lavender is a common essential oil that is basic to any home cleaning kit. If you’re new to essential oils, then start with lavender. It’s a gentle oil. Lavender is known for its calming and stress-relieving effects. Use lavender when you’re looking to unwind while you do the dishes or wash the floors. Lavender is a natural antiseptic and antibiotic with subtle antifungal properties.
You may immediately think of cleaning products when you think of lemon. And it’s because lemon is a powerful antiseptic that leaves any room fresh and clean. But when you use traditional cleaning products, you’re left with an artificial lemon smell that can cause headaches. Lemon can be used in a spray to clean counters, added to diffusers to purify the air, or included in a load of laundry to prevent mildew. Lemon help with seasonal allergies by opening up your airways with its anti-inflammatory properties.
Tea Tree essential oil tops the list when it comes to detoxing your home. It has antiseptic, antibiotic, antiviral, and anti fungal properties. As the seasons change, you or a family member might contract a cold or respiratory infection. And tea tree essential oil is perfect for cleansing the air of lingering airborne infectious particulates. Simply add to a diffuser. On top of that, tea tree oil can keep the rising spring and summer bug populations at bay when put to work at window sills and doorways.
Now here’s an essential oil that doubles as an environment and body detoxifier. Grapefruit can disinfect your counter tops or refrigerator. But it is also a powerful body cleanser. If you purchase high quality, food grade oils you can add a drop or two to your morning water and be well on your way to a beach body. It helps curb food cravings while promoting weight loss. Get ready to show off your bod while maintaining a mold free home.
Sweet geranium provides the perfect clean, floral smell to add to your home detox kit. It acts as an antiseptic and antibacterial. Plus, it can balance your hormones while you clean. It’s the perfect essential oil for any woman. Freshen your bedroom and soothe your anxiety at the same time. This equalizing agent is perfect for your living room or bed room.
These five essential oils are common. And there are many ways to use them. So hopefully you can make a one time purchase and get many uses.
Here are six ways to use essential oils to detoxify your home.
- Create a spray bottle with either one essential oil or a blend of oils. Fill a fine mist spray bottle with about 16 ounces or 475 milliliters of distilled or purified water. Add 10–20 drops of the blend or single oil. Shake the bottle vigorously before each use. Spritz rooms to purify the air. Or clean counter tops using the spray and a clean cloth.
- Dust fans and vents with a cloth misted with the essential oil spray, as you created above. Or use a few drops of essential oil on a dry cloth. This method can help deter allergen build-up.
- Tissue paper and cotton balls are easy to use in any room, including closets. Use 1–3 drops. Place the tissue paper in corners on the floor, counter, or shelf.
- Diffusers are more popular than ever now. You can purchase one online or at a home goods store. Each diffuser comes with its own instructions. So follow the oil to water ratio for your specific diffuser. Be sure to purchase distilled water to use in your diffuser to avoid hard water build-up.
- Toilet paper rolls are the perfect place to sneak a few drops of your favorite oil or blend. On the inside of the roll on the cardboard place 1–3 drops. You’ll be deodorizing as you go. No need for room spray (but you can have some on hand anyways!).
- Dish washing liquid can be improved with your favorite blend or single essential oil. In 16 ounces or 475 milliliters of liquid add 8–10 drops of oil.
Essential oils are the perfect tool to detoxify your home. When used appropriately you will notice the effects your detox has on your environment and on your mood, energy, and lungs. The air will be cleaner and sweeter. And you’ll be healthier, too.
So as you down day five of your juice cleanse, give your home a spritz or cleanse your counters with nature’s antimicrobials.